Sometimes I feel as though summer goes by too quickly (ahem, especially in the Midwest). In this blog post I have come up with various ways to make the most of summer, and I have posted three common dilemmas: working too much, having time but not money, and having no time or money.
Photo by Christine Hawley
Dilemma 1: I work too much
• Make a list of all the things you would like to accomplish.
• After making the list, make up a schedule. For example, “Mondays: Work until 6pm, go to the beach until sunset; Tuesdays: Work until 6pm, go for a run until sunset.”
• Make crock-pot meals. Almost anything can be cooked in the crock pot. For recipes try www. busycooks.about.com
• If you can afford it, then cut some hours, or take vacation.
Dilemma 2: I have the time, but not the money
• Try picking up odd jobs! This is especially common with college students. A website to try is www.kellyservices.com
• Considering most summer leagues such as volleyball, softball, or baseball cost too much money, make a league with a group of friends. Find a time and day to get together, meet up, and play the game. This will be great for your budget AND your social life.
• Avoid bars and nightclubs. Although going out is a lot of fun, especially in the summer, avoid going out because it simply costs too much money.
• Make plans for a potluck barbecue with friends and family. Have everyone bring a dish to pass; invite people over for summer fun at a minimal cost.
• If you are an athlete, take your workouts outside. That is a cheap and beneficial way to stay in shape. Check out my earlier blog post named “Exercising Outdoors.”
• If you have a gym membership, make the most out of it and take some classes! Quitting your workout mid-class is difficult. In addition, you can make some great friends who share similar interests, thus improving your social life.
• Start blogging, that’s what I did!
Dilemma 3: I have no time, and no money
• Something has to go. Maybe it’s the extracurricular activities, and if that’s the case (provided you feel overwhelmed), then cut something out.
• If you really need the money and you are working a lot, then unfortunately survival comes first. However, if you do find yourself with some free time, then take advantage of it. Check out Dilemma 1 for some options.
• Check your diet – make sure that you are eating healthy foods that will give you energy, so you can enjoy any free time you find yourself having.
I hope this was useful. Happy sunbathing my friends!